Saturday, February 2, 2013

Jamion Allen on Dr. Kamela Heyward-Rotimi



On November 13, 2012 Dr. Kamela Heyward-Rotimi visited Washington Prep High School. She spent lunch with us, the Women’s Leadership Project (WLP) talking about her career, interests, and what its been like as an African-American woman pursuing her doctorate degree.

I enjoyed meeting Dr. Heyward-Rotimi. She is intelligent and sees certain things just as I do.
She talked to us about living in Nigeria. She was very honest about her experiences there. She related to us, that as an African-American she was made to feel out of place by Africans. She talked to us about how some Nigerians don’t believe that American born black communities have culture.
What stood out to me most about our conversation was when I mentioned to her that I want to leave my mark on this world.  She told me that I should set my sights on whatever I want to do because if I believe in myself and have a strategy to achieve my goals, then I will.

I will never forget meeting Dr. Kamela Heyward-Rotimi.  

2 comments:

  1. I will never forget meeting you Jamion. You are an intelligent and great young lady with a bright future ahead of you. Thank you Women's Leadership Project for the opportunity to spend the day with such thoughtful young women.

    And, most of my experiences in Nigeria show me that we should celebrate our differences and similarities. Overall, I have found Nigeria a fascinating place. "Dr. Kamela"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Kamela it really means a lot coming from you hopefully we meat again some day.
      You area very nice person and gave me some really nice insight on life

      Delete